Thursday 10 April 2008

We went to the hospital today

We have been to see the consultant to hear the results of Ethan's post mortem.

The consultant (a different one cos mine has moved onto pastures new) said that there was nothing wrong with Ethan. He was structurally perfect and the correct weight for his gestation. There were no chromosome abnormalities. The only thing that they did find was that there were signs of infection in the placenta. Nothing and no-one could have known what was happening to prevent the outcome.


The consultant also discussed care for any future pregnancy/ies. I am to take clexane from the time I find out I am pregnant until I deliver and continue for 6 weeks after birth because although the tests didn't confirm anything they think that my blood coagulation alters in pregnancy. (this decision is based on the loss of my first angel and my history of DVT). I am allowed to choose between c-section and natural delivery (definitely a c-section as first consultant, who is fantastic, told me with my 2nd son that they cannot guarantee the outcome of delivery if I go through labour due to circumstances surrounding the loss of Miles). I asked about any future pregnancies about having steroid injections 48hours and 24hours before delivery and he said that there were no proven benefits to a baby so late in the pregnancy. Although I had them with my second son and it gave me peace of mind so IF I get pregnant again I am going to push for that.

The other thing that has been recommended due to the placenta showing signs of infection is that I will have swabs done at regular intervals and if there is any sign of infection I will be treated with antibiotics.

At the end of the day there was nothing that the consultant could have said to have changed the outcome of what happened. Our son is an angel and we miss him and his big brother with all of our hearts.

No comments: